Gone are the days of the 12-pt, Times New Roman resume on thick cotton stock with matching envelopes. Social media is a powerful tool, and should be used to help you in your job search. Here are 5 ways social media can help you land your job-
- Make sure your social media profiles are cleaned up, accurate, updated and relevant. You want your job history to be part of a professional profile. Don't stop at LinkedIn, remember to give attention to your Twitter, Facebook and even Google+ accounts. Want to know the first thing potential employers do when considering candidates? Google them. And then peruse their social media footprints. Make sure yours sells YOU.
- Be a social media conversationalist. Be engaged. Join and participate in LinkedIn Groups. Contribute to discussions surrounding professional topics and show that you know what you're talking about. Stay up on industry trends and topics and jump in to conversations surrounding these things on Facebook or Twitter.
- Use LinkedIn to network. Read our previous blog posts on using the network in your successful job search.
- Don't forget about job posting sites like CareerBuilder, Indeed, Monster and Glassdoor. Looking for placement in the Kansas City area? Don't forget to check the SquadBuilders.com Job Listings Board!
- Don't forget to network in the traditional sense. You might strike up a conversation with someone on LinkedIn or Twitter about a potential job or mutual interests...then take the next step and meet for coffee to discuss further! Cities still have vibrant networking communities and host meet-ups, happy hours and the like.
Good Luck to you! If you think you’ve got what it takes to #JoinTheSquad, please contact us! We’re here to help you find that win-win! Good luck!
*image courtesy stockmonkeys/ flickr creative commons